Friday, October 17, 2008

Preacher talk hogs

Why do most churches use the format of a designated preacher while everyone else listens? Is he or she the only inspired person? In my churchgoing days, when I visited many mainstream churches, I never saw any church follow Paul's format in 1 Corinthians 14, where several people take turns speaking.


Personally I get more out of a one-to-one conversation (or my own Bible reading) than listening to a sermon.


The Christian church sometimes emphasizes "leadership" and trains pastors in leadership skills. The implication is that lay members should learn to be obedient, compliant followers of this or that authorized leader. Personally, I understand Christ and the Holy Spirit leading us. Since the Spirit works through each of us, no one person should be looked to as "the leader." The pastor should reflect the definition of that title, meaning "shepherd", one who nurtures and watches over, and sometimes inspires.


The early Christian church in the book of Acts met together and decided by consensus. They didn't look to one designated "leader." The Spirit at these meetings spoke to (or inspired) several and its will became known and confirmed by agreement. After being in a Christian cult, I strongly distrust "leaders."


I tend to think God is flexible and creatively-minded when it comes to "worship" and inspiration. What benefits one Christian may not help another, so we find our own preferred methods of feeding and nourishing our spirits.

No comments: