Monday, September 29, 2008

Do you have high expectations from God as a Christian?

Are you disappointed with your life because it doesn't measure up to those expectations, based on your reading of the Bible? "Abundant life...Christ will do exceedingly abundantly above all you ask or even think...ask anything in My name and I will do it...greater works will you do than Me because I go to the Father...ask and it will be given you...give and it shall be given to you, good measure..."

Christians can view God as a magic genie who dispenses favors ("blessings"), kind of a "gimmee God". We can view God as a doting "Dad" who treats us all like little 3 year-old kids, taking care of our every need. Or we can relate to God as mature adults, knowing we need to do our part to live reasonably enjoyable lives; and expect our share of ups and downs, happiness as well as heartaches.

I missed out on having my own children, helped to raise a step-child, 13 years old when I came along. It wasn't easy! I had hoped to use my art talent professionally, but instead worked in a pretty boring job for 20 years, pursuing my art on the side. I retired due to burnout, never getting a job I really enjoyed, despite giving a lot of money to Christian and secular charitable organizations.

I've often felt like my life has been "less than." I'm probably not alone. I've tried to lower my expectations -- not because I'm hopeless or being negative -- but to be more realistic. High hopes with poor outcomes can create mental misery.

I'm currently painting landscapes, a lot of them. I may sell some or only a few. My goal is to produce a lot of good paintings and improve as an artist, enjoy what I'm doing. If my art ends up only as a kind of hobby, then fine. I can still take satisfaction from the work itself and my pleasure in doing it. The apostle Paul wrote that he had learned to be content in any and all circumstances, quite an achievement! "Abundant life" (John 10:10) does not necessarily mean a perfect mate, great job, and material wealth. To me it mostly means Christ living in me today, and therefore feeling satisfied and peaceful -- mental or spiritual "riches" -- rather than achieving this or that personal goal. (At times, Jesus feels absent from my life, with a certain emptiness inside.)

In Jesus' message to the Laodiceans in Revelation 3, he pointed out that they were quite miserable internally, despite their material wealth. His solution was to re-connect with Him: "dine with Me, and Me with you." How we do that is personal, between each of us and Jesus. More Bible reading -- or less? Honest prayer from deep inside? (Or less prayer and more doing?) Talking to a good Christian friend about feeling like shit? Jesus in that friend may give you the support you need.

My own prayer is to be more mature and realistic, take responsibility for my life, including facing the truth about problems large and small. Contentment along with being goal-oriented is also my aim.

Critics of Christianity may view Christians as wimps, so dependent on a "Daddy-God" that they don't tackle life's challenges head-on with their own internal resources. The critics may have a valid point -- when believers don't accept personal responsibility for their own lives. On the other hand, an agnostic or atheist may go to a friend, relative, or expert for advice or support; they're being human and practical. Believers likewise rely on those same types of people; plus, they sometimes go to an invisible Friend who they rely on for support and practical direction. If there is invisible Support available, why not ask? It's practical for them, not necessarily "religious."

No comments: